Catholic Pupil Profile Virtues
Values and virtues are a key part of our Catholic teaching here at Our Lady's.
As Catholics we desire to follow the teachings of the Gospel revealed through the Church. We look to scripture for revelation from God which will guide us in the way he wants us to live. In the Gospels and our Church tradition we find the person of Jesus, through his teachings and interactions with people, showing us the way to live our lives. The Beatitudes (Matthew 5) encapsulate the values we want to live by and that we would want to nurture and develop in the children in our care:
Faithfulness & Integrity, Dignity & Compassion, Humility & Gentleness,
Truth & Justice, Forgiveness & Mercy, Purity & Holiness,
Tolerance & Peace and Service & Sacrifice.
As Catholics we also believe in the importance of developing a virtuous life. Each term we focus on a pair of complementary virtues as we strive to make explicit our purpose and intention as educators: describe what a child in our care is growing to be and how the school is consciously and deliberately nurturing this.
Each half term, the children develop their understanding of two new virtues and strive to apply these to their everyday lives.
Pupils at Our Lady's Catholic Primary School are growing to be:
- Grateful for their own gifts, for the gift of other people, and for the blessings of each day; and generous with their gifts, becoming men and women for others.
- Attentive to their experience and to their vocation; and discerning about the choices they make and the effects of those choices.
- Compassionate towards others, near and far, especially the less fortunate; and loving by their actions and forgiving words.
- Faith-filled in their beliefs and hopeful for the future.
- Eloquent and truthful in what they say of themselves, the relations between people, and the world.
- Learned, finding God in all things; and wise in the ways they use their learning for the common good.
- Curious about everything; and active in their engagement with the world, changing what they can for the better.
- Intentional in the way they live and use the resources of the earth, guided by conscience; and prophetic in the example they set to others.